Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Tex-Mex Butternut Squash Soup

Today's post is short and sweet because I want you to get out and enjoy the FIRST DAY OF SPRING!! Can you tell I'm extremely excited?! It's cause I am. I'm ready to say goodbye to winter, and this soup is the farewell. It might just been the last comforting, warm soup you'll see on the blog for a while. I'm ready for cold soups, salads, sandwiches, and lobster rolls! I'm ready for feeling gritty sand between my toes and the warm sunshine on my face. So, are you ready to say goodbye to winter with me? Keep reading!

This soup fulfills that craving, layering sweet potato, earthy squash, constant heat from dried habanero, and starts off with a great mirepoix. You can use homemade stock or store bought, whichever you have on hand. Why Tex-Mex? I have no clue. What makes a dish Texan-Mexican? Just because I added hot peppers, corn chips, hot sauce...it might not be real Tex-Mex, but it's close enough for me!


Tex-Mex Butternut Squash Soup
Makes 6-8 servings
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
2 small carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 liters stock (chicken, beef, or vegetable)
1 dried habanero pepper

1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 small sweet potato, peeled and chopped
salt & peppers to taste

Garnishes: Cheese, Blue Corn Chips, Hot Sauce

  1. In a medium sauce pot,  heat olive oil and add onions, carrots, and celery. Make sure they are consistent in size, but shape does not matter, as everything will be pureed. 
  2. Cook until onions are translucent. 
  3. Add stock and dried whole habanero pepper (you can omit this for less heat). Simmer for 10 minutes, until it comes up to a slow boil. 
  4. Add squash and sweet potato. Cook for 20-30 minutes, until tender. Season with salt and pepper. Taste! Remove the dried habanero. If not, it will get pureed and be overwhelming in the soup.
  5. Using an immersion blender or regular blender, puree the soup while hot. Transfer back to pot and slowly simmer until ready to serve. Re-season if needed.
  6. To serve: Serve in deep bowls and top with your favorite cheese, blue corn chips for color and hot sauce for another layer of flavorful heat. 

Share with us: How do YOU say goodbye to winter? 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment